Friday, September 26, 2008

Proof of Life

I finally had my first ultrasound yesterday and it was amazing! We saw the baby and its tiny flickering heartbeat, and suddenly it all seemed so much more real to us. We have proof of life!

I was a little disappointed with the u/s itself, though, because I couldn't see the screen. The tech slid the wand around on my belly for a bit and then said, "There's the embryo." Of course I tried to sit up to see! But she said, "No, no, I'll show you later." She did, but only for a few seconds, and I'm not sure I saw anything when she pointed and said, "There's the heartbeat." I'm glad Keith was there to witness the whole thing. He said the heartbeat was much more obvious at other times. Also, we didn't get a printout. Sad.

After the u/s we went out for breakfast to kill a couple of hours before our appointment with Dr. L to go over the results. He said everything looks really good. The baby is measuring 7w3d, which is exactly where it was supposed to be, and the heartbeat was 160 bpm. He asked where I wanted to deliver, then told me the name of the ob he's referring me to, and that was about it. So weird. That chapter of my life is over — if this pregnancy progresses as it should I probably won't ever see him or his office again. They asked me to send a picture when the baby is born.

We hadn't planned on telling anyone until Thanksgiving (October 13 here in Canada), when I will be 10 weeks pregnant, but we ended up telling Keith's parents yesterday, and the news has spread quickly from there. I still plan to wait until the weekend after Thanksgiving to tell my family, because they live out of town and I want to tell them in person. I'm sure my mom already suspects after my visit last weekend, but that's another story!

2 comments:

Hoping to make it three!! said...

Oh Jennifer thats the best news I have heard all day. I have to admit I have checked your blog like 20 times yesterday and today waiting for the update! Congrats! Only 11 days until our ultrasound!!!

Ariella said...

I am so glad it went well. Congrats!