We're going through a very rough patch. Things improved long enough for our trip, which was nice, but went sharply downhill upon our return home. What's up with that? For the first time I'm seriously contemplating quitting breastfeeding. I'll give it another couple of days, and then, if things still suck, I'll make an appointment with the dreaded clinic, and then, if they can't help us, I'm done. I just got teary-eyed typing those two little words. I never imagined it would be this difficult for this long. I always planned to breastfeed for a year.
I'm sorry. I'm not expecting sympathy or even advice; I just need to put it out there. Maybe posting this will help me get used to the idea that I might have to stop — that stopping might even be for the good of the baby.
Argh.
Sleeping arrangements
6 years ago


2 comments:
I'm only 2 weeks and 4 days into breastfeeding and I can say it's easier and harder than I thought. I wasn't expecting the pain or at least the kind of pain that I'm getting.
I can't imagine how you must be feeling after 4.5 months of "it sucking". I'm not sure what is happening so I don't have any advice for you. Have you contacted the La Leche League? I'm sure that there is a chapter in your area. My local one is full of supportive mothers and the leader herself is great plus she's got TONS of books and literature too.
I know that you weren't looking for advice, but it's just a suggestion. Breastfeeding is such a personal thing and what works for some doesn't work for everyone.
I completely feel for you. I had no idea breastfeeding would be the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I'd planned to do it for a year but for every week that it wasy easy then I would have twice the amount of a rough patch. It was definitely a rollercoaster and love-hate relationship. I kept saying "one more day, one more day" and then suddenly at 9 months old my son weaned himself. As much as I wanted to continue three more months to reach my goal I realized he was letting me know I'd given everything I had and then some - I'd done a terrific job but now he was ready to move on. I had prepared myself for "the end" since he was three weeks old (that was the first time I thought it was over) so I wasn't as sad as I'd thought I'd be. Still, I hope that next time will be easier so that I can do it the full year (I wrote about my experience here: http://andreasinger.com/breastfeeding.html) but doing it just ONE month is a success so you should be very proud you've made it FIVE! I hope that the clinic helps you, but if not don't beat yourself up about it - your son has and will continue to benefit from what you've already done!
Post a Comment